Thursday, April 20, 2006

A quick tale 125

Forebodings

Now that it had happened, they started looking for signs that would have warned them of the impending disaster. My right eye was twitching like mad that morning, said the mother, I knew something was going to happen. Yes me too, joined in the aunt who never liked to be left out, I dreamt of a wedding. You know what they say if you dream of something auspicious. I should've seen it coming, said the grandmother, the milk curdled that morning. And the crows, recalled the neighbour, they never stopped crowing. That's true, added the sister as she rocked her colicky child, my baby was wailing all day. Everyone nodded solemnly. It could have been avoided, they were sure. If only they had paid heed to the portent signals. And for a brief while, they forgot. That it was all his fault.

10 comments:

radiantbear said...

Its sad how people still belive in Superstitions

Anonymous said...

what is the significance of the last line in the story?

Anonymous said...

Blog konjam irutta irukku.

D LordLabak said...

When I typed your blog's URL, the page wouldn't load up quick like it did yesterday. I should've known then that a new QT would be present and that too on superstitions.;-)

Lost in trance... said...

pausing?

and the new template looks kinda dull :(

totti said...

you leave it in such balance. its tough not to get overboard with such stories.tangential.Almost.

Anonymous said...

Wow - bang on the head! A stellar piece after a long time.

Rashmi Kantharaja said...

The last line conveyed it all!
Candid portrayal. Blaming the insipid incidents while the problem is actually something else is the case most of the times!

Neodawn said...

Good One...

?! said...

While you press pause, I guess I'll press rewind.

125 of them, after all.

:)