Monday, July 04, 2005

A quick tale 43

A letter in love


My dearest,

I told a bank clerk about us today. Her eyes widened when I told her that we were married for 33 years. But what can a mere number reveal? How can it ever capture the sight of you standing in our doorway, cutting the sunlight in your shape as you dried your hair? Or how you used to refuse to cook on Sundays because you were ‘cooked-out’? Or how you’d rest your legs on my lap and ask me to massage your feet? Do you remember how you cried when Kanna was born? Because you really wanted a daughter. You cried again when Kunjamma was born. Because she didn’t look anything like you. If only you could see her now!

And when you were diagnosed, how brave you were. Though I knew you were crumbling inside. You became a scared little girl afraid of the dark. And for the first time in all those years, I saw the light die from your eyes. Slowly, you started putting the toys away and began preparing for the next game. You arranged everything, even picking out a name for Kunjamma’s unborn child. Our grandchild was born yesterday. She’s got your beguiling, almond eyes. And when I call out to her, I will be calling your name. For I know you’ve come back to me.

Yours always,

Me

31 comments:

Balakumar said...

A tear escaped me when I read this. And it is still gnawing within me.

shub said...

again. wow. :)

Subramaniam Avinash said...

nice.

Anonymous said...

LOVE - distilled and presented in the coolest purest form.

cheers:)

labdab said...

"You became a scared little girl afraid of the dark" - great !!!

nibujohn said...

words fail me. (mouth gaped wide in sheer admiration) if a gini comes to me now ask for a wish, i would ask for your pen, nope, your keyboard.

Anonymous said...

I notice that there is nothing filthy, funny, flawed or gorgeous about this one.

It is serious and its great

Chitra said...

Marriage and all that it has to offer - the good and the bad - is worth living for. Though ofcourse I have been married a mere 5.5 years. I hope I will say this again 33 years into it!

Good one! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

In tamil we call this pullarikkudhu!

such simple words evoking so many different emotions!

Harish said...

wow.

Anonymous said...

They say brevity is the soul of the wit. But I also come to know after reading the posts and the comments it is also the soul of the misjudged.

Shammi said...

*bawl*

dinesh said...

I got reminded of my paatti when I read this...just a lot of coincidence ! Terrific !

Anonymous said...

nohing beyond a simple wow!

divya said...

another divya commenting..its so pure so beautiful

Anonymous said...

Somehow this reminded me of the song 'Pachai kiLigal thoaLodu' from Indian.

Especially these lines 'peNNe narai ezhudhum suya saritham aanandham aanandham'. The 'Me' in the story reminded me of that Indian Thaatha :-)

kaaju katli said...

*sigh*

NS said...

Awesome ammani! Jus too brilliant:)

monu said...

so feel good and sweet!
:)

Swathi Sambhani aka Chimera said...

u write really well..

Krish said...

Oru sandhadhiyinarin sindhanaigal :-)

Sriram said...

too much-u grass itching!!!

Chenthil said...

Just read about the blasts in London. Hope that it is nowhere in your vicinity. Do update

.:: ROSH ::. said...

wow...love this one.

The Last Blogger said...

Very nice.

Vinod Rajagopal said...

what writing..!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gives a lump in the throat and a welling of the eyes. Amazing how you manage to bring out the emotions in us with things that are fairly common place that we fail to notice or take for granted.

Anonymous said...

Just one Word........still looking for it.

xxyyzz said...

Hi ,
Just wonderful !! Got no better words. The last sentence is JUST MOVING

Bayesian Observer said...

Oh my god ! You write so well! This piece was so brilliantly worded. Hats off to you !

Sujoo said...

Just Wow !!!!!